Friday, June 20, 2008

The Global South. Day 2.

Day 2.

Fresh fruit, supermarket shopping (found Soba Noodles!!), internet exploring, San Jose exploring. Getting terrifically lost trying to find my office. Turns out its 2 blocks from my hotel.
But it was a fun lost. Man sitting in a park just singing Flamenco. Great people watching. Weather-ful skies. Great graffiti. So much to get shots of (There is MLK scrawled on walls that I have yet to capture), here are just a few.















"Father, you need to make the money of the earth disappear, just like in heaven"






"Democracy of twisted arms"






"Not for sale, and not buying it."









Met Luis Alberto at the Foundation. He introduced me around, and then he had to run off to Guatemala (that's just how he rolls) and I got to bonding with the other Interns. (That's right. I'm an Intern. ) A girl from Ireland named Niamh (which is pronounced Neive, I thought people had trouble saying my name), a guy from Jersey named Chad who's never going back to the US if McCain is elected (good thing he won't be), & the cutest 19 year old from Queens. There are others, they weren't around.

It was so so good to get to the Foundation- a sense of grounding and purpose and people who know my name and will hang out with me this weekend. SO ready to get to work on Monday. It should be noted that extended vacations are highly overrated. At least for me. :)

Niamh then took me on a tour of the neighborhood where I am staying, showed me where the closest yoga studio is, bless her heart, and ate some Mexican food while we talked. We got right into it: the meaning of Human Security, politics, what's better language than "First World/Third World"? This, by the way, is a question I have long asked. I love her answer, which, apparently, is the new thing in academic circles : "The Global North/The Global South". (Australia and New Zealand throw this off, but I think it generally really fits.) Can't tell you how pleased I am for this new language. Wonder if Lakoff knows?

It should also be noted that we talked about Sex and the City.

Tomorrow: apartment hunting.

1 comment:

Anne Stokes Hochberg said...

Glad you found a yoga place nearby!!